Sunday, February 15, 2015

"Aria" by Richard Rodriguez

Quotes:
"…the flash of two worlds, the faces and voices of school intruding on the familiar setting of home" (2).
Rodriguez, when he was a child, separated his school life from his home life. In school, he was forced to speak English, which had made him uncomfortable because he didn't feel that it was his language to speak. At home, Rodriguez had felt much more comfortable and secure because he could speak Spanish and connect with his family's culture. When the nuns asked Rodriguez' parents if they could speak English at home, he felt these two separate worlds collide. His school life was "intruding" on his personal family life. This was hard for Rodriguez because in order to assimilate and learn English, he had to give up his former Spanish identity.

"My Mother! My Father! After English became my primary language, I no longer knew what words to use in addressing my parents" (4).
Rodriguez is explaining the confusion that he felt when he transitioned from a Spanish identity to an English identity. He had called his parents "mamá and papá" before, but saying these titles were "too painful reminders of how much had changed in [his] life" (4). This makes me so sad because Rodriguez  lost a sense of his family connection. He couldn't even call his parents by the names that he had learned because it brought back upsetting memories of his former Spanish lifestyle.

"So they do not realize that while one suffers a diminished sense of private individuality by becoming assimilated into public society, such assimilation makes possible the achievement of public individuality" (6).
Rodriguez is making a point about how even though one must lose their sense of native and family language connections, the assimilation into the English language and American identity allows one to flourish and succeed in their lives. Through becoming a part of the American lifestyle, these people become part of the public sphere, allowing them to make more outside connections and relationships. I understand what Rodriguez is saying, but I think that it is truly unfortunate that in order to feel secure in a public setting, one must, in a sense, disconnect from their former culture. I do feel a sense of hope though because Rodriguez is showing us that even through the struggles of becoming assimilated into the American culture, one can find benefits and grow accustomed to their new lifestyles.

My mom's family immigrated here from Portugal when my uncle was 4 and my aunt was 2. I remember  stories from my uncle who constantly got in trouble with his teachers and got held back in school because he didn't understand English and only spoke Portuguese. He told me that it was really hard for him to understand why he had to learn English and couldn't speak Portuguese anymore. He felt like an outsider in school. This story helped me to connect my uncle's struggles with Rodriguez' struggles because they had to go through the same type of assimilation.


I think that this article connects with SCWAAMP, in the sense that American-ness is valued in todays society. Other cultures are not valued so therefore, people like Rodriguez must lost their cultural identity in order to become a "true American." By assimilating into English, Rodriguez says that one gains a "public individuality" and this public American-ness is important and seen as good in todays society.


Talking Point:
Do you think that Richard is happier in his new public, english lifestyle and what benefits does he acquire when he gives up his Spanish lifestyle?

2 comments:

  1. I really liked your personal story and how you connected it to the article! I also related the article to SCWAAMP, I felt like it really had a strong connection and showed us that it really is true in some cases. Nice job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really liked your personal connection to the reading; it definitely helped to better support your points! Good work!

    ReplyDelete