Sunday, March 1, 2015

"Unlearning the Myths That Bind Us" - Linda Christenson

For my blog post, I will be doing an extended comments based on Jasmine's post.

I think that Jasmine captured Christenson's argument nicely by saying, "Linda Christensen argues that the media like TV shows, commercial, books, and magazines set unrealistic expectations for children and they display many stereotypes." I also believe that Christenson was arguing that Disney/Looney Tunes movies and cartoons are heavily based on many stereotypes because the characters displayed all have characteristics that can be described by SCWAAMP. As a society, we value things like straightness, whiteness, able-bodiedness, maleness, and property ownership. One can see all these traits in these movies and cartoons that are commonly shown to young children. These children are so influential that they begin to value these qualities shown and become members of the society that values SCWAAMP.

Jasmine also brings up Christenson's idea of a "secret education." By saying this Christenson means that the creators of this movie didn't create the characters this way in order to mind wash the young to become racist and sexist human beings. But, by constantly showing the white people as the heroes and princesses, the woman being weak and rescued by the strong, confident men, people of different races being the bad guys, and the characters being rich and wealthy, these movies are educating their audience to admire these qualities. I liked how Jasmine linked the Popeye cartoon that Christenson explained so that we can actually how these stereotypes are played out. 

Also, Jasmine says that even though Christenson makes valid points, she does not want to believe that her favorite movies are based on ideas linked to SCWAAMP. I definitely agree with her here. I thought that this article was hard to read because it made me sad to think that all the movies that remind me of my childhood are portrayed in this negative fashion. I don't try to see the stereotypes, even though I now know that they are present in all these cartoons and movies. I guess that I'm also one of those people who "don't want to believe they have been manipulated by children media or advertising" (128).


Overall, I think that Jasmine did a great job on her post and just wanted to thank her for letting me use her post as the center of my blog!

Talking point: Who else was upset because they also love Disney movies?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Allee. I really enjoyed reading your post, especially what you said in your opening paragraph. The images children are exposed to often do set unrealistic expectations for them to live up to. The products that companies like Disney produce often feed into the stereotypes established in our society and, in turn, only perpetuate them. Like you stated, by being exposed to such imaged, children are subconsciously ushered into the part of society that value SCWAAMP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really happy that you liked my blog. I think you did a great job writing about it and adding your own thoughts too. I like the picture you added to your blog it fits in nicely.

    ReplyDelete